This one will go great with your morning coffee, and will give a big hug to your taste buds; it’s soft, warm, and sweet.
The cake base is definitely inspired by different recipes I had used before online; I tried to combine what I learned from each one of them and came up with this!
If you’re feeling adventurous, experiment with different fillings (Biscoff, Jam, fruit bits, nuts…). I was quite disappointed that the Biscoff in mine had disappeared on the inside. The taste remained though, and it turned out great! If you’re really intent on seeing the golden line make it all the way through, try and use whole biscuits instead of grounded ones.
Let me know if you try it, tweak it, hate it or love it in the comments below!
🍁 Ingredients (9-inch/23-cm pan) 🍁
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar (vegan)
- 2 tsps of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 90-100 g of Biscoff biscuits
- 1 cup of Plant Milk
- 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g of dark, vegan, chocolate cooking bars
- Vegetable Butter (for the pan)
- warm water (according to consistency desired)
🌱 Preparation 🌱
- Warm up the oven to 176C/150F.
- Butter up your pan!
- Grind the Biscoff Biscuits until completely granulated, set aside.
- Combine the plant milk and the ACV, stir lightly, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl, set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a big bowl and whisk to homogenize.
- Shape the mixture into a reverse volcano in your bowl 🌋 (my favorite part).
- Add the applesauce to the tip of your volcano and start whisking.
- Once the paste is too solid to whisk, start gradually pouring the milk/AVC mixture.
- Once homogeneous, add vanilla extract and Oil.
- Add the now liquid chocolate to your mixture. Whisk well.
- According to how “moelleux” you want your cake, add 0 to 1/4 cup of warm water.
👩🍳The Cooking step 👩🍳
Once satisfied with the consistency, pour half of your batter in a 9-inch, greased pan. Scatter most of the grinded Biscoff over the entire surface, then add the remaining amount of batter. Sprinkle some more Biscoff on top, and place in the oven for 35-40 min.
If you insert a toothpick, keep in mind that it shouldn’t reach complete dryness; just enough to make sure everything cooked. Let your cake cool off for around 20 min before serving.
🤓 Student Scheduling 🤓
I never time myself while cooking, but I gotta say, this one is an easy and fast one since all ingredients are just up and ready to use.
You can reward yourself for the studying done during the baking step with golden sweetness !
🌻 Vegan Boosts 🌻
For an extra Zinc and Omega-3 boost, you could use one flax egg instead of the applesauce. The texture of the cake might turn out more stiff.
🇱🇧Lebanese Shoppers 🇱🇧
You might have some trouble finding unsweetened applesauce. Try the big supermarkets that usually import European products; applesauce is very popular in colder countries. I found my jar at a German supplier store in Metro Megastore (Jounieh)
If you can’t find any:
1. Make your own Applesauce! (Highly recommended, and budget friendly!)
2. Replace the applesauce with any other egg substitute: flax egg, 1/4 cup of mashed banana (recommended) etc.
🧘🏻♀️ Fitness and the P-word🧘🏻♀️
Just enjoy some fat, sweetness, and color every once in a while!
(if you don’t want to though, you can always experiment using some plant protein powder within the dry ingredients, use stevia sugar instead of granulated, or turn this into a regular, biscoff-free chocolate cake).
💸 Going Green all the way to the Wallet? 💸
A great tip would be to make your own applesauce: all you need is apples, cinnamon, and water!
You can also flour your pan instead of greasing it with vegetable butter, let go of the vanilla extract, use cocoa powder instead of actual dark chocolate tablets, or even turn this into a regular, biscoff-free, chocolate cake.
🐄🐔No animal was hurt preparing this dish, وكل ثورة وانتو بخير ✊