I don’t know about you, but as a kid, the Epiphany was my favorite day of the year!
The little baker in me loved this day for the traditional “Galette des Rois”, filled with bitter almond and fluff pastry goodness.
Finding a Vegan version of it drove me crazy back home. So I went online, read a couple Vegan recipes for it, and added my little touch with Amaretto and Pecan Nuts!
If you’re feeling creative, you can replace the pecan nuts with walnuts or any other crunch you’d like in your batter.
(I owe a lot of credit to this Recipe, on which I based most of what’s written below)
Let me know if you try it, tweak it, hate it or love it in the comments below!
🍁 Ingredients (≈31 cm/12.2 inch diameter puff pastry/≈12 slices) 🍁
- 2 rolls of square or round puff pastry (they’re usually vegan, double check by reading the composition)
- 200 g/7 oz of sugar (vegan)
- 250 g/8.8 oz Almond powder (or homemade grounded almonds)
- 8 g/0.3 / 1 packet / of Vanilla Sugar
⚠️ If you can’t find it in stores, it’s the equivalent of 1 tbsp of sugar with 1/2 a tsp of vanilla extract
- 40 g/1.4 ox of starch
- 3 tbsp of Vegetable Oil
- 200 ml/6.75 oz of almond/soy cooking cream (it’s usually one regular box found in stores)
- 3-4 tbsp of Amaretto
- 25 g/0.9 of Pecan Nuts
- 1 “charm” to hide in the cake
- Melted Vegetable Butter (optional) to brush on the surface
🌱 Preparation 🌱
- Warm up the oven to 200C/392F.
- Grind Pecan Nuts.
- Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry on a baking sheet, and poke its surface with a fork
- In a bowl, combine Sugar, Vanilla Sugar, and Oil. Mix well.
- In a separate container, combine starch and plant cooking cream. Stir well.
- Once homogeneous, add the starch and cream mixture to the first bowl and mix well.
- Add Amaretto.
- Add Almond powder, and grounded Pecan nuts. Whisk until well combined.
👩🍳The Baking step 👩🍳
Place your batter in the middle of the rolled pastry, and spread. Leave out around 1cm/0.3 inch of the border. Hide the charm inside the batter (I always forget). Brush the border of the sheet with remaining cooking cream/plant milk. Cover with the second puff pastry sheet. Close the edges, and decorate the surface with a knife as you wish!
If you have some plant milk/plant cream aside, melt some vegetable butter, mix them together, and brush the surface for a golden effect!
Place your Galette in the heated oven on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30min.
🤓 Student Scheduling 🤓
You’ll be surprised how fast this one will be done. The preparation barely takes 10-15 minutes, and is perfect for a busy student schedule. The only inconvenience would be shopping for its ingredients, which aren’t found easily.
🇱🇧Lebanese Shoppers 🇱🇧
No trouble here. I easily found all the ingredients !
In case you have trouble finding almond powder, you can buy regular almonds and grind them yourself.
💸 Going Green all the way to the Wallet? 💸
The only advice I could give here would be to compare how much it would cost to grind your own almonds vs. buying almond powder. You can also compare almond cooking cream prices vs. soy cooking cream. Also, you can lose the amaretto and go for almond extract and/or cancel out the nuts; you would then be following this Recipe.
🐄🐔No animal was hurt preparing this dish, وكل ثورة وانتو بخير ✊