Day 5 of Quarantine: the sun has left us, it’s getting cold again, and I was craving something warm and comforting.
I used to make this one real quick with orzo, but this time, since I have time, I upgraded it a little.
Let me know if you try it, tweak it, hate it or love it in the comments below!
🍁 Ingredients (4 servings) 🍁
- 1 cup of Vegan Macaroni
- 500 ml. soya cooking cream
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup of shredded and cut cabbage
- 1 or 2 large onions – depends on your usual taste
- 1 cube vegetable stock (try to pick a brown one rather than yellow)
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp of each: grounded allspice, grounded cinnamon, garlic granules, grounded nutmeg.
- Salt to taste
🌱 Preparation 🌱
- Dice and fry onions on very very low heat with 2 tbsps of vegetable oil (feel free to add if you feel like they might burn), until completely softened. This will take time. Mix from time to time.
- Add grounded allspice, grounded cinnamon, and garlic granules to onions, mix well.
- While the onions fry, dice carrots, and place carrots and cabbage in some water in a pot on high heat.
- Let boil/simmer until both are completely soft and cooked. Strain water.
- On the side, melt vegetable stock in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Once all vegetables/onions are cooked, combine all in a pot. Add Vegetable stock and an extra 1/2 cup of water.
- Add the macaroni, bring to high heat, and add half the soy cooking cream.
- You want the mixture to be very hot, but not boil. To do this, let it boil, then decrease heat.
- Keep mixing from time to time and checking on the macaroni.
- Add the other half of soy cream halfway.
- Add salt and any other spices to taste.
👩🍳How to serve 👩🍳
- Once the Macaroni is soft, take off the heat and serve while warm. Sprinkle some Nutritional Yeast on top for a cheesy flavor !
- Option to add some warm water and mix if the macaroni absorbed the moisture.
- Option to add mushrooms to the whole mix.
Stay safe, stay home, and let’s survive this, one recipe at a time!