Day 18 of quarantine, it’s a sunny Sunday and I have a Tofu block to finish in my fridge.
I finally decide to face my fear of making Tofu that isn’t scrambled; I get inspired from Nora Cooks Vegan and a couple other blogs, and make my own little thing.
Let me know if you try it, tweak it, hate it or love it in the comments below!
🍁 Ingredients (3-4 servings) 🍁
- 1 Block Firm Tofu (280g) Press it if it wasn’t already.
- 2 tbsps + 1 tbsp cornflour – you will use each separately
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsps water
- 10 tbsps Soy Sauce
- 5 tbsps Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 long spring onion or 2 small spring onions
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cut your tofu in thin slices, and absorb excess water with a kitchen towel
- Dice tofu into thin/rather small slices
- In a bowl, mix 1 tbsp of cornflour with olive oil and salt
- Take tofu pieces and using gloves, coat the pieces with the mix
- Place on parchment paper in a tray
- Bake tofu at 200C/392F for 15 min. Take out and flip on the other side. Bake for another 15 min.
- Dice garlic and spring onion
- Fry on low heat with sesame seeds in vegetable oil
- Once the garlic/seeds start to brown, add Soy Sauce 1 tbsp at a time, allow to boil, then add another tbsp
- Add teriyaki with the tbsps of water
- Stir well
- Add sugar, stir well.
- In a bowl, add 1 tbsp of cornflour with 1 cup of water. Mix.
- Taste your sauce; add the garlic powder, and anything you think it might still need
- Add Cornflour water. Bring to a boil; it will then start to solidify, keep mixing until you get the consistency desired.
- Add tofu to sauce, soak for a few minutes
- You can make jasmine rice or sticky rice with broccoli as a side! (picture)
- Top your meal with more spring onions/sesame seeds
🇱🇧 Lebanese Shoppers 🇱🇧
Firm Tofu can be found in almost any big supermarket.
Stay home, stay safe, and let’s survive this one Recipe at a time!