I once accidentally mashed chickpeas, and I couldn’t get over how much they looked like canned tuna. Not a huge fan of tuna myself, I figured what I actually liked about tuna sandwiches/salads was the dressing and overall mix.
I came up with this chickpea salad, which reminds me of tuna sandwiches and pasta salads at kids’ birthdays. It doesn’t take too long to prepare, around 20 min tops (provided you get your chickpeas in a can), and is super budget friendly!
Let me know if you try it, tweak it, hate it or love it!
Ingredients (2 servings as main, 4 as a side)
- 400g canned chickpeas
- 200g canned corn
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of: green olives cut in quarters, OR, cornichons/pickles cut in small pieces, OR both!
- My Lemon Mayo dressing‘s ingredients
- Option to add 1/4 cup cucumbers!
- Option to cut chickpea portion in half, and fill other half with macaroni!
- Boil the chickpeas in their water until they become extra soft, and ready to mash.
- In the meantime, prepare the dressing, and cut the cherry tomatoes in 1/4s.
- Mix all cold ingredients in a bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas, let them cool/put them under cold water or in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add dressing if serving immediately.
I like serving this with a sprinkle of dry parsley on top!
- Option to have this with whole wheat tortillas
- Option to cut the chickpea quantity in half, and serve with pasta