Dreaming of Christmas in the middle of April?
Try my Cinnamon Spice & Apple Cups!
Christmas spice will flood your kitchen, spirit, and taste buds.
These will not rise to become cupcakes (I tried), ergo the ‘cups’ title.
You will need some funky ingredients for this one such as almond flour and unsweetened applesauce – Whiskey also makes an appearance should you invite it to the party !
But one thing I love about this recipe is how adaptable it is; you can play around with the amount of toppings, sugar, and cinnamon – so as usual, go with your gut, you got this!
Ingredients: (12 cups)🛒
- Cupcake/Muffin regular size baking tray + muffin liners
- 2 small red or sweet apples
- 125g margarine (vg)
- 125g + 1.5 tsp brown sugar (vg)
- 3/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 100g flour
- 50g almond flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp Whiskey of your choice (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 for extra spice, but if you’re not usually a fan, go for 1/2).
- Another 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Some almond flakes/granules for topping
For an overview (pun intended) of the process, go to my IG Highlight for this recipe (I cannot afford the word press upgrade that would allow me to embed videos)
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Cut one apple and a half into small pieces, place in a microwavable bowl
- Microwave margarine at low intensity in that same bowl with the apple chunks (I do 450, 3 min first, then 30 sec at a time)
- Once melted, mix well
- Add 1/2 or 1 tsp of cinnamon, depending on how spiced you’d like your cups
- Add apple sauce and whiskey
- Mix well
- In a separate bowl, sift through and mix dry ingredients (flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder)
- Add half of dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix well, then add second half
- Mix well until homogenous
- Chop the remaining 1/2 apple in very small pieces
- In a separate container, mix the apple chunks with 1.5 tsp of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Fill in liners with around 2tbsps of the mix, then top with apple chunk mix and some grounded almonds, or almond flakes
- Bake in oven for 35 to 40 min until golden brown
- Let it cool for around 20 min
These go absolutely amazing with vanilla ice cream! Make sure you re-heat your cup before consuming.
I really hope you have fun preparing this one. Please do not hesitate to DM me on IG or email me if you have any questions of trouble in the process !!