An incredibly popular dish during the lent season in Lebanon, I crave this side dish all year long.
To be honest, any main ingredient you can mash with a combination of onion, mint, walnuts/bulgur, and olive oil, would taste absolutely Lebanese.
Potato Kebbe, or ‘Kebbit Batata’, is traditionally prepared in a big food processor. Since I like to make my recipes student/small apartment/low budget friendly, here is a way to make it without one – All you need are your hands, and a good fork.
Since I’ve also realized that good Bulgur is really hard to find abroad, this one’s gluten free, based on ground Walnuts. If you can’t find any, just crush them with your hands, with a cup, a mug… get creative!
Ingredients: (1 Mezza serving)🛒
- 1 big potato (pic. for reference)
- 4 tbsps ground walnuts (for gluten free option) OR soaked (for a long time)and drained Bulgur (especially if you don’t own a food processor)
- 2 tbsps chopped green onion
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dried mint powder (+more to taste if needed)
- 1/4 tsp salt (+more to taste if needed)
- A pinch of each: 7 spices, cumin, chili optional (+more to taste if needed)
** If you own a blender, go for the traditional form of this dish; just blend everything together (boiled not raw potato), add spices/salt to taste.
- Boil/Microwave the peeled potato, and mash it well in a bowl with a fork
- In the same bowl, add ground walnut, mix using the same fork while mashing
- Add 2 tbsps of olive oil
- Do the same for the green onion pieces
- Add spices and salt, mix and mash
- Add the rest of the olive oil, mix and mash
- Add any remaining spices to taste
Arrange your Kebbe in an oval plate with a spoon to smoothen the surface. Top it with fresh mint leaves, raw white onion, chili flakes, olive oil, or walnuts!
Tip: If you have traditional lebanese flat bread, cut a small piece, fill it with the kebbe, top it with a mint leave, a drizzle of olive oil and a slice of raw onion! Thank me later…
I really hope you have fun preparing this one. Please do not hesitate to DM me on IG or email me if you have any questions of trouble in the process !!