Definitely one of my favorite items in a Lebanese Mezza, meet my green beans in tomato sauce.
It is traditionally Vegan, although meat is sometimes added.
This is a very easy recipe, but these flat beans are very hard to find in the UK. If you find Middle Eastern shops, you should be able to find this kind of flat bean – and it makes all the difference.
This is to be enjoyed with Lebanese flat bread, and tastes awesome served cold or warm!
Ingredients: 🛒 (for 2 servings as main meal)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 big onion
- 4 cups of flat beans, chopped, from frozen
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cube veggie broth
- 1 cup of tomato passata or tomato sauce of your choice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sweet pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Take out the beans from the freezer
- Grate or chop garlic into small pieces, and chop onion into half moons, or minced – it’s up to you!
- Add olive oil with garlic and onion to a pot, turn to medium heat, then lower to simmer
- Keep stirring every minute or so, and a 4-5 minutes later, add sweet pepper and cinnamon, mix
- Once onion is soft, boil 1cup of water in the microwave or boiler, add melted vegetable stock cube and boiled water to the pot. Stir until homogenous.
- Once vegetable stock melts completely, add tomato sauce, stir well
- Finally, add defrosted beans, cover and keep on low heat to simmer
- Once beans are soft, add salt to taste.
Serve hot or cold, as a side or as a main, with or without pita bread!
I really hope you have fun preparing this one. Please do not hesitate to DM me on IG or email me if you have any questions of trouble in the process !!