The long awaited chickpea patty is finally here!!!
I spent a year perfecting this recipe… and I finally got it.
Blender, grinder, or not, you can make this as long as you find oat flour and flax meal (ground flax seeds).
This patty is PACKED with nutrients – from fiber and protein to Omega-3!
Ingredients: (8 patties, small)🛒
- 1 cup chickpeas from can
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/4 cup grounded oats if you have a grinder, if you don’t then 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds, ground if you have a grinder, or flax meal if you don’t + 3 tbsps of water, combine and let rest for 7-10min)
- A pinch of (in arabic “rachit”) cinnamon, 7 spices, garlic powder, and herbes the provence
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Around a cup of breadcrumbs (more according to how “pan fried” you’d like your patty to be)
- Salt to taste
- Frying oil
For an overview (pun intended) of the process, go to my IG Highlight for this recipe (I cannot afford the word press upgrade that would allow me to embed videos)
- Make sure the chickpeas are soft enough to mash with the fork; if they aren’t, boil them in their water for a few minutes. Once or if they are, mash them with a fork
- Chop the onion as thinly as possible – if you have a grinder, option to ground the onion
- Using the fork, combine onion and chickpeas, mix and mash well
- Add flax egg, mix well
- Add spices and olive oil, mix well – option to add some breadcrumbs in the mix
- Prepare a plate covered in bread crumbs, and a bowl with 1tbsp of oil
- Once you get a homogenous mix, start forming, in your hands, a ball the size of your inner palm, roll it well, then flatten it to form a patty
- Dip your fingers in the oil and tap each side of the patty to cover it
- Place the patty on the breadcrumbs plate on each side, until it’s covered in breadcrumbs. You can ‘encourage’ this process with your hands. The more oil/breadcrumbs stick, the ‘golder’ the patty will look!
The following steps depend on how fried you’d like your patty to be; the more oil you heat up in the pan, the more golden the patty will turn out. Ref. to pictures for examples: the patty to the left was fried with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil on the pan, while the ones to the far right were fried as seen in the middle photo.
10. Heat some oil in a pan
11. Once hot, place patty, then flip to the other side once bottom is golden brown
- In the featured image, I made homemade vegan buns, and filled them with Mustard, Ketchup and VG Mayo, lettuce, grilled potato slice, and a tomato slice!
- In the other pictures, I used a maple mustard spread, lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
- You can freeze your patties before cooking
I really hope you have fun preparing this one. Please do not hesitate to DM me on IG or email me if you have any questions of trouble in the process !!